[Homeroast] Behmor 1600+ on order...

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Sun Dec 6 20:16:26 CST 2015

On Sun, Dec 06, 2015 at 02:40:24PM -0800, Clark Barclay wrote:
> I never use the c button anymore since I've noticed that if I let it
> run its course after I hit C it will always roast too dark for me.
> If I want a French roast maybe I'll do that.

The RS time is supposed to be the time from start of first crack to
start of second crack, so unless that's the result you want, no, you
wouldn't just press C and let it run itself out.

> That's interesting that you hit cool during the Rosetta Stone
> section.  What do you suppose the advantage is of doing that as
> opposed to just adding the crack time you want and letting it hit
> cool once 1C starts?  I've always wondered how adding/subtracting
> time plays into the roast curve program.  And how the Rosetta Stone
> affect it as well.

There used to be a rumor that adding or subtracting time before
pressing Start would change the profile's step times (for P2 and above
that have multiple steps), but that proves not to be the case.  I would
expect that the programmed profiles work just the same now - the manual
mode just overrides their control, and the "Rosetta button" just loads
the timer with the weight-based time.

The only real advantage of the Rosetta button is that it does always
set the countdown to the RS time, even when that extends the total
roast time beyond what would otherwise be the preprogrammed limit.
Some may be more comfortable setting the time to go by hand, others by
having a fixed countdown against which to position their manual end.
The fact that the + and - can only adjust in fifteen second steps IIRC
does make them a bit less precise, perhaps, than aiming for X:XX left
after having pressed C.

This is all theoretical for me - only use I have for the time adjust
buttons is to push it up to the max, since I'm always going to end it
by hand, when I think it's ready.  I may not be any more consistent
than time-based, but that's how I prefer to fly it.  :-)

--
People make secure systems insecure because
insecure systems do what people want and