[Homeroast] A question for the pro roasters on the list

Stephen Nagy stephen.s.nagy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 13:26:01 CDT 2015

Hello all,

I am a home roaster, and some time ago some of the pros on this last had a
lengthy technical discussion about using an approach to roasting which I
studied to see if my roasts in a Gene Café could be improved.

As far as I could tell, and feel free to correct me if I misunderstood
this, the discussion seemed to put what I have been led to believe is
"conventional wisdom" about roasting on its head. That wisdom has been to
heat green beans on a maximal heat setting until first crack, then cut back
on the temperature until one reaches their target for the roast.

The discussion seemed to suggest that prolonged heating if the green bean
at a low heat was desirable, followed by a shorter period of time at a
higher temperature to finish the roast.

With this approach it seems that I can develop more complex flavors, stop
short of second crack but still have beans of an even color which have
puffed up significantly in volume as compared to green beans, sometimes
even leaving the tag ends of the membrane visible on the flat side of the
bean paler in color than the bean. These roasts are not dramatically
acidic, as compared to roasts taken only through the first crack.

I guess I think of myself as somewhere on the learning curve around
intermediate in competence: I can turn out a nice roast, but would always
like to understand more.

Are these some of the secrets of the experts, and have I understood this
approach to roasting?

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with others this list.

Stephen Nagy
Helena, Montana