[Homeroast] Professional tips for a home roasters

Stephen S. Nagy stephen.s.nagy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 22:36:50 CDT 2015

Hello all,

I am a home roaster, and some time ago some of the pros on this last had a lengthy technical discussion about using an approach to roasting which I studied to see if my roasts in a Gene Café could be improved.

As far as I could tell, and feel free to correct me if I misunderstood this, the discussion seemed to put what I have been led to believe is "conventional wisdom" about roasting on its head. That wisdom has been to heat green beans on a maximal heat setting until first crack, then cut back on the temperature until one reaches their target for the roast.

The discussion seemed to suggest that prolonged heating if the green bean at a low heat was desirable, followed by a shorter period of time at a higher temperature to finish the roast.

With this approach it seems that I can develop more complex flavors, stop short of second crack but still have beans of an even color which have puffed up significantly in volume as compared to green beans, sometimes even leaving the tag ends of the membrane visible on the flat side of the bean paler in color than the bean. These roasts are not dramatically acidic, as compared to roasts taken only through the first crack.

I guess I think of myself as somewhere on the learning curve around intermediate in competence: I can turn out a nice roast, but would always like to understand more.

Are these some of the secrets of the experts, and have I understood this approach to roasting?

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with others this list.

Stephen Nagy
Helena, Montana

Sent from my iPhone