[Homeroast] Need Help - Almost an Empty Nester

Michael Koenig koenig.mike at icloud.com
Fri Aug 7 14:51:34 CDT 2015

Hi Carol,

I have one of the newer HotTops (the B model), so I’m not so familiar with the older ones.  I know you can experiment with when you drop your beans into the roaster to change the profile.  In theory, it should be easier to get a dark roast with a smaller batch size, since less bean mass will roast faster.

If half pound batches work best for you - just go ahead and keep using that batch size.  Even if you then roast only every other week, your coffee will still be pretty fresh, and I think you will be happier with that vs. a smaller roaster.

Regarding your Rocky grinder - my experience is that they produce some amount of fines, and aren’t so good for French Press.  You might prefer trying pourover, or an Aeropress, which are a little more tolerant of fines.

—mike