[Homeroast] Need Help - Almost an Empty Nester

Carol Lugg heislord at elpasotel.net
Sat Aug 1 09:41:02 CDT 2015

Good morning! I have what I suspect is not a unique problem, and I would
like to ask you for your help. For several years now I have used a
Hottop to roast my coffee and the Rancilio grinder. I have kept them in
pretty much mint condition. My problem is that we recently purchased a
Keurig, and while our youngest son likes my home roasted, French Press
made coffee, he seems to have taken to the Keurig, and uses it pretty
much exclusively now, because it's faster. I love roasting my coffee,
but if no one else is going to drink it besides me, a lot of it goes to
waste. My husband doesn't drink coffee, and our oldest son is married
and lives 2 hours away now. He loves my coffee, but as you can see,
that's not option either.

What I would like to know, is what are my options? I don't know that I
am ready to sell my equipment, but it is taking a lot of space on our
counters, and it's kind of sentimental to me, because my husband, who
doesn't even drink coffee, bought all of this for me.

I also have an old FreshRoast that I bought several years ago, when I
first got into this, to see if I would really want to continue doing this.

Any ideas? I'm a little lost right now. I miss my coffee drinking buddy,
but I also understand the ease of the Keurig for a young man. Are there
any roasters that wouldn't cost boatload of money and would fit my
needs? I have been thinking about getting a different grinder too,
mostly because I would like one that does a better job at getting the
grind right where I want it. Any ideas in this department would be
helpful too.

I know this post has taken a lot of twists and turns might be a bit
confusing, but I love roasting my beans, and I just don't get to do much
of it any more, since I can't drink that much coffee that quickly.

Thanks for your help!,
Carol Lugg
(Sunny and hot Colorado)