[Homeroast] Grinder question

Ira ira at extrasensory.com
Thu Apr 30 13:14:08 CDT 2015

Hello Phil,

Thursday, April 30, 2015, 10:54 AM, you wrote:

> Currently, I weigh out about 2.5 grams of beans, dump them in the hopper of
> a $30 cuisinart burr grinder, grind all of them, then dump the grounds into
> the Clever Coffee Dripper, and add a touch over 12 fluid oz of hot water.
> About 4 minutes later, I have a mug of coffee.

If you really want a Rocky, I've got a really nice condition
doserless one for sale. I assume you're really grinding 20.5
grams and I'd still suggest that if your willing, a Lido 2 or 3
is better than everything that's been suggested, has essentially
zero retention and builds arm strength. It's a much better
espresso grinder than the Rocky and some people are saying it's
as good a a Bunn with Ditting burrs(Bunnzilla). The Baratza
conicals always get good reviews, but the ones with flat steel
burrs get even better reviews for drip, at a significant step up
in price.

A used Bunn with new burrs is also quite a good drip grinder if
you're willing to bang the chute a bit to get the retained
grounds out. I have two I found on Craigslist, one for $100 and
one for $50. New Ditting burrs are $320 and the aluminium spacer
is less than $100 and unless you want to buy an EK-43 or
something like that, it's about as good as you can do, but it's
big.

-- Ira