[Homeroast] Grinder question

Alan Hayes alanp.hayes at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 11:52:00 CDT 2015

Hi! First a short introduction: I've been a homeroaster since some time in
2001, a Sweet Maria's customer for that long as well. I am currently in the
process of trying to make a very small business out of that experience, but
no more about that!

I just want to put in a plug for antique cast iron grinders. I have found
them to be cheaply priced and highly effective. They tend to be very
adjustable and result in an even grind. I have found them to be just about
the best for coarse grind needs like french press, which many of the
electric grinders have trouble with. I have used various Baratzas, which
are pretty good, but I have had too much incidence of them breaking down to
feel comfortable recommending them. Being that the cast iron grinders can
be as much as 100 yrs old and still working fine, breakdowns can be assumed
to be a non issue.

I am talking about the all iron grinders that either screw to the wall or
clamp to a table, as opposed to the various hand grinders which need to be
held in places, which I have always found difficult to use in practice.

Alan Hayes