Ira ira at extrasensory.com
Tue Apr 28 13:03:15 CDT 2015

Hello John,

Sunday, April 26, 2015, 10:47 AM, you wrote:

> All this talk about 15 minute roasts as something of a maximum intrigues
> me.  What about 8 minutes as a minimum?  What am I losing, or risking, when
> power main surges hurry my Fresh Roast procsss.  I like my eight minute
> FR500 roasts, but maybe I have a dead nose.

Different profiles give different flavors and different roasters
allow different profiles. Air roasters typically allow faster
successful roasts. As in many things success is in the eye of
the beholder. if you're happy, it must be good. Now that I'm
starting to get a handle on controlling FrankenBehmor, I'm
drinking my best roast of last years Ethopia Dry Process Gr. 1
Cheffe Aricha.

It's not that it wasn't good before, it was still better than
anything I could get at the store or in local coffee shops, but
this roast is just more like Tom's description. It's not there,
but now I can see the possibility of greatness.

So, if you can, figure out how to get bean temperature, and
start recording your roasts. One you have that, you can
experiment and see if you can improve your roasted coffee.

This was the 390th recorded roast on my Behmor, the 39th since
it became FrankenBehmor and about the 8th since the start of a
particular thread on HB about profiles and the last 8 have made
it clear that I finally have a chance of becoming a really good
roaster.

But even at it's worst, fresh roasted coffee will almost always
blow away anything you can get at a local store.

-- Ira