[Homeroast] Question on roast times

Ira ira at extrasensory.com
Sun Apr 26 13:58:15 CDT 2015

Hello Greg,

Sunday, April 26, 2015, 7:23 AM, you wrote:

> So my question to the group, especially those that roast large amounts of
> beans at a time, do you still aim for this "less than 15 minute" goal when
> roast 1 pound, 5 pounds, or more?  Doesn't it get more difficult to get
> those larger roast batches to be done in the same amount of time as a
> smaller sample size?

So now that I'm roasting with FrankenBehmor and have something
like actual bean temperature and am learning to to follow
profiles I'm down to roasting 250 gram batches as anything past
that looses to much control. I'd also suggest that any profile
other than P1 is probably a mistake for a 1 lb batch. If
you want to slow the beginning, start cold with the beans in the
roaster, if you want to speed it up, preheat with just the chaff
tray and then put the beans in when it's hot.

I preheat to 350F, then put the beans in the roaster with the
elements still on at 100%, insert the chaff tray, close the
door, insert the bean probe and finally turn on the drum motor.

Then I back the heat off to between 83 and 87% till first when I
turn on the afterburner and raise the heat to 100% until the
readings indicate it's time to turn the heat down again.

I was quite surprised at how little my Behmor would roast with
what are considered reasonable profiles by the 3rd wave
roasters.

And yes, you are always aiming for the same profile whether it's
4 ounces or 500 pounds assuming you want the same result.

And I've never seen anyone who roasts professionally talk about
roasts over 15 minutes. Also it seems to be a common belief that
you should cool your beans in 4 minutes or less.

-- Ira