[Homeroast] Question on roast times

Howard B howardbandy at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 11:24:26 CDT 2015

Hi Greg --

I began roasting with a FreshRoast 500.  After about 800 roasts, the
machine was beginning to show its age.  I bought a Behmor 1600 plus a few
months ago.  My experience is similar to yours.

I began with several 1/4 pound roasts, as suggested.  They all went well.

My first 1 pound roasts did not complete in the 18 minutes initially
provided, so I added 15 second increments and found that 20 to 21 minutes
was required and I did not have quite the control I wanted.  After several
experiments, I have settled on this, that works well for me for the
Guatemalan and Ethiopian beans that make up the majority of my roasting:

Begin with 330 grams of green beans.
Settings: 1 pound, A, P1.
Start, which sets the countdown clock to 18:00.
Failsafe happens at 4:30.
First bean to pop is usually at about 2:00.
Tenth bean to pop, which I take as the start of first crack, is usually
about 15 seconds later, so around 1:45.  Press C which resets the clock to
3:10.
I roast fairly light -- usually allowing 1:30 to 1:40 to elapse before
pressing Cool.  So that happens at 1:40 to 1:30 on the countdown clock.
There is still a little popping going on when I press Cool.
Resulting roasted weight is about 280 grams, which is 5 batches, each of 56
grams, each one one-liter press pot batch of brewed coffee.

I still use the FreshRoast, for which I have a digital thermometer and have
better roast control, for decaf which I find roasts much more quickly.

Best regards,
Howard