[Homeroast] Question on roast times

Steve Jacobs steve.jacobs at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 09:33:41 CDT 2015

You have a bit more control over roasting times with smaller batches when
using the behmor, but I'm happy with my roasts, even when I have stretch it
out beyond 20 minutes. It's much easier to get the batch where I need it if
I preheat the roaster a couple of minutes before each batch. One thing that
greatly improved my roasts is upgrading my roaster with the Behmor 1600
Plus controller.

I hope to complete my gas grill roaster this spring and will theoretically
be able to do five pound batches, but couldn't possibly use all that before
it went stale. With the amount of smoke it'd generate, the neighbors are
likely to kill me too.

I've been wondering how hard it would be to create a smoke reduction system
using a 10" duct fan, a range hood and a high flow carbon filter. That
project is likely next in the queue after the arduino-based temperature
controller for the gas grill roaster.

Steve

On Sunday, April 26, 2015, Greg Hollrigel <ghollrigel at gmail.com> wrote:

> From over the years reading on the internets, I've developed the thought
> that roasts should be completed in 15 minutes or less.  Some have said that
> if beans roast longer it can lead to baking.  I don't always follow that
> with my roasts (e.g., I roasted 1 pound of Peruvian beans that took almost
> 20 minutes).  And I probably would have a hard time telling the difference
> (I just know either it's good or not good :-)).
>
> I have a Behmor 1600.  It seems the only times that I get a roast done in
> less than 15 minutes is if I roast 8 oz of beans at a time.  10 oz of beans
> gets to 15-17 minutes or so.  Usually, I'm on a P3 profile.
>
> So my question to the group, especially those that roast large amounts of
> beans at a time, do you still aim for this "less than 15 minute" goal when
> roast 1 pound, 5 pounds, or more?  Doesn't it get more difficult to get
> those larger roast batches to be done in the same amount of time as a
> smaller sample size?
>
> Thanks, and I'm just curious.
>
> Greg

Sent from my Apple Watch