[Homeroast] Question on roast times

Greg Hollrigel ghollrigel at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 09:23:37 CDT 2015

>From over the years reading on the internets, I've developed the thought
that roasts should be completed in 15 minutes or less.  Some have said that
if beans roast longer it can lead to baking.  I don't always follow that
with my roasts (e.g., I roasted 1 pound of Peruvian beans that took almost
20 minutes).  And I probably would have a hard time telling the difference
(I just know either it's good or not good :-)).

I have a Behmor 1600.  It seems the only times that I get a roast done in
less than 15 minutes is if I roast 8 oz of beans at a time.  10 oz of beans
gets to 15-17 minutes or so.  Usually, I'm on a P3 profile.

So my question to the group, especially those that roast large amounts of
beans at a time, do you still aim for this "less than 15 minute" goal when
roast 1 pound, 5 pounds, or more?  Doesn't it get more difficult to get
those larger roast batches to be done in the same amount of time as a
smaller sample size?

Thanks, and I'm just curious.

Greg