[Homeroast] Mazzer espresso grinding

Starfinder Stanley coffee at starf.org
Mon Sep 15 15:12:51 CDT 2014

Really?  In that you can't pull a good shot out of them or in that you have
to adjust the grind to get a good shot out of them?  I have a hard time
convincing myself that beans aging for a few days/week would change enough
to require adjusting the grinder.  My friend Pete did say that he notices
the drift as the beans "age," but I wouldn't consider <10 days from
roasting to be significantly old  ---I dump a hottop's worth in my compak
and really don't notice any change in grind/tamp/crema variables over the
4-6 days after roasting that it takes to use up the batch.  Some flavor
evolution in the first couple days from offgassing, sure, but the shots
grind and pull consistently.  Pete doesn't roast, but buys beans fresh from
a local roaster.  I'll ask him how long it takes to get through a batch.

Now, when I switched from my usual PNG sigri to a Brazilian the other day,
the same grind and a moderately light tamp totally choked the first shot....