[Homeroast] Replace Mazzer grinders with Macap MD7

miKe mcKoffee mckona at comcast.net
Sat Sep 13 19:55:56 CDT 2014

Why? Reason(s) quite simple economics plus difference in espresso approach.

In Italy usually grind in advance and use the doser as a doser. One pull of
lever, one single dose.

Quality focused modern espresso shops grind per shot. With a doser aka
grinds dispenser takes multiple thwacks to clear doser. So why not just use
doserless grinders in the first place? Now the reality of starting/running a
business come in. When starting professionally I purchased used 5 Mazzer
Majors and 7 Super Jollys for about the price of 2 new Macap M7D's. One of
the very few things I purchased new back then was my USRC 3k with profile
controller. Unless you have about a quarter million bucks laying around you
ain't gonna start a roasting and coffee house business with all new
equipment!

Fast forward almost 7 years and we've been able to fork out FIFTEEN THOUSAND
DOLLARS on grinder upgrades the past year. And three more Macaps in the
queue by the end of the year. (Opening a third Vancouver location :-)

Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/