[Homeroast] Need opinion ASAP...

miKe mcKoffee mckona at comcast.net
Sat Sep 13 01:13:21 CDT 2014

I disagree, Mazzer SJ burrs are simple to replace and hard to install
"wrong". Agree make sure the doser action is smooth HOWEVER it will NOT
sweep clean unless/until doing sweep tape mod. Also if the doser is dull
aluminum instead of more recent models with shiny smooth exterior hoppers
I'd be leery.

Price wise a brand new doser SJ can be had for $675 inc. shipping these
days, their price has come down. Rather than make him an offer I'd say
something like "I'll need to replace the burrs and a brand new Super Jolly
is only $675, is $350 the best you can do?" And wait. Whatever he says next
counter with "is that the best you can do"? And wait again, he who speaks
first looses in the negotiations. Continue in this vane until he's adamant
it is indeed the best he will do. Then and only then agree to purchase or if
it's higher than you want to pay walk away. But in reality $350 if in
excellent condition isn't a bad price, not great but not bad in today's
market. Though new prices have come down there is no longer a glut of used
Mazzer grinders like there once was when Charbucks switched to
Super-Automatics.

Also regardless the condition of the burrs, unless cut your finger sharp
new, plan on replacing them. FWIW I can shoot you a new set for $40 inc.
USPS Priority shipping. I've replaced most of my Mazzer grinders with Macap
MD7 at our coffee houses and have a number of Major & Super Jolly new burr
sets just laying in a drawer...

Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/