[Homeroast] Homeroast Digest, Vol 80, Issue 6

corycreighton at gmail.com corycreighton at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 07:45:13 CDT 2014


I'm with you, Mike. I take as many Quakers out as I can find, especially with those wonderful DP Ethiopians. I think they merely get in the way of that wonderful fruit.

Roast on!
Cory

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 9, 2014, at 11:35 PM, "miKe mcKoffee" <mckona at comcast.net> wrote:
> 
> Under roasted pale tan (often tan-orangish) beans are under-ripes and known
> as Quakers. Their predominant taste, regardless the origin, is peanuts. I
> always post roast cull them out, especially abundant in Natural Processed
> Ethiopians even the best grades.
> 
> If you want to add peanut taste to your cup, leave them in.
> 
> Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
> www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
> URL to Rosto mods, FrankenFormer, some recipes etc:
> http://www.mckoffee.com/
> 
> Ultimately the quest for Koffee Nirvana is a solitary path. To know I must
> first not know. And in knowing know I know not. Each Personal enlightenment
> found exploring the many divergent foot steps of Those who have gone before.
> 
> Sweet Maria's List - Searchable Archives http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/ 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Homeroast [mailto:homeroast-bounces at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com] On
> Behalf Of Archeobob
> Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 10:23 AM
> To: A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for
> thislist,available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Homeroast Digest, Vol 80, Issue 6
> 
> Ethiopians are notorious for uneven roasting - even after hitting 2nd, I've
> had pale tan beans in the mix. Adds to the flavor I think.
> 
> Bob - roasting in a RK drum setup.
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Karen Mok
> Sent: Monday, September 08, 2014 2:03 PM
> To: homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Homeroast Digest, Vol 80, Issue 6
> 
> I roasted 8 oz  Ethiopia dry process Yirga Cheffe Aricha at 1-lb C3 max
> setting, the beans came out unevenly roasted and pale in color. After a
> couple of trials and errors, I tried D5 with maximum time, BINGO!
> 
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 1:00 PM, <
> homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com> wrote:
> 
>> Send Homeroast mailing list submissions to
>>        homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> 
>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>> 
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sw
>> eetmariascoffee.com
>> 
>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>>        homeroast-request at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> 
>> You can reach the person managing the list at
>>        homeroast-owner at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> 
>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific 
>> than "Re: Contents of Homeroast digest..."
>> 
>> 
>> Sweet Maria's Home Coffee Roasting "HomeRoast List" Digest
>> 
>> Today's Topics:
>> 
>>   1. Re: Airpopper roast size (Mark)
>>   2. Re: Yirga Cheffe Aricha (John Dodson)
>>   3. Re: Yirga Cheffe Aricha (Howard B)
>> 
>> 
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 19:28:51 -0400
>> From: Mark <mkreider1 at gmail.com>
>> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
>>        list,   available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
>>        <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Airpopper roast size
>> Message-ID: <F336D84F-1CBA-4BD1-88AA-116E57BE5A75 at gmail.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain;       charset=us-ascii
>> 
>> One half cup is what the manufacturer recommends (popcorn kernels) to 
>> not stress the popper and shorten it's life.  I've stuck to that and 
>> have had no problems.  I use two poppers and get the amount of roast I 
>> need that way.  Two poppers is a $40 investment and I couldn't be 
>> happier with the taste of my coffee.  Most of my friends are now 
>> roasting their beans with poppers too after having tried my brews.
>> 
>>>> On Sep 6, 2014, at 5:10 PM, John Nanci <john at chocolatealchemy.com>
>>> wrote:
>>> 
>>> Clark,
>>> 
>>> It varies per popper. Basically, load it until the beans barely move
>> without stirring or shaking.  As moisture drives off, they will move 
>> more and naturally profile as more air passes, resulting in a nice 
>> asymptotical roast curve.  It could be anywhere from 4-7 oz in my
> experience.
>>> 
>>> John
>>> 
>>> At 10:42 AM 9/6/2014, you wrote:
>>>> Any other Air Popper roasters out there? I'm using the Westbend off SM.
>> I'm
>>>> trying to figure out the most I can roast, effectively, at a time. 
>>>> What
>> do
>>>> you guys recommend? Have different origins been a factor for anyone 
>>>> too?
>>>> 
>>>> Thanks!
>>>> - Clark
>>>> 
>>>> --
>>>> *Pedestrian*
>>>> instagram.com/pedestriancoffee
>>>> soundcloud.com/pedestriancoffee
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Homeroast mailing list
>>>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sw
>> eetmariascoffee.com
>>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
>> Forum</a>
>>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee 
>>>> Library</a>
>>> 
>>> 
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Homeroast mailing list
>>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sw
>> eetmariascoffee.com
>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
>> Forum</a>
>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee 
>>> Library</a>
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 08:38:06 -0700
>> From: John Dodson <j_dodson at sbcglobal.net>
>> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
>>        list,   available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
>>        <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Yirga Cheffe Aricha
>> Message-ID:
>>        <1409931486.74639.YahooMailNeo at web181503.mail.ne1.yahoo.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>> 
>> Thanks
>> 
>> I do 250 g
>> 
>> preheat to 167 F (HotTop preset)
>> would you set the preheat to higher?
>> 
>> John D.
>> 
>> On Thursday, September 4, 2014 3:07 PM, Howard B 
>> <howardbandy at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Hi John --
>> 
>> I posted a detailed description of the procedure I use for everything 
>> I roast a couple of days ago.  I use a  FreshRoast 500, so my 
>> experience is not specific to HotTop.  I have done about 800 roasts.  
>> Many Guatemala and many Ethiopia YCA.  Those two are my favorites.  I 
>> roast fairly light -- Agtron 45 -- probably city+
>> 
>> I stop the roast in my FreshRoast when the temperature I am able to 
>> measure (infrared gun pointed into the open roasting chamber) is about 
>> 435-440 F.
>> For almost all the Guatemala beans, that happens 7 to 8 minutes after 
>> the first heat.  For Ethiopia YCA, it happens much sooner -- around 6
> minutes.
>> I don't do anything special for one or the other -- just monitor bean 
>> color, sound, and temperature closely as the roast is progressing.
>> 
>> 
>> Best regards,
>> Howard
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 9:18 AM, John Dodson <j_dodson at sbcglobal.net>
>> wrote:
>> 
>>> I'm new to home roasting and new to my HotTop roaster.  I have done 
>>> a dozen practice roast on Guatemalan.  I am looking looking for 
>>> advice on a starting profile for Ethiopia dry process Yirga Cheffe 
>>> Aricha.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> John D
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Homeroast mailing list
>>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sw
>> eetmariascoffee.com
>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
>> Forum</a>
>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee 
>>> Library</a>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Homeroast mailing list
>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> 
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sw
>> eetmariascoffee.com <a 
>> href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's Forum</a> 
>> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee 
>> Library</a>
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 09:42:46 -0700
>> From: Howard B <howardbandy at gmail.com>
>> To: "A list to discuss home coffee roasting. There are rules for this
>>        list,   available at http://www.sweetmarias.com/maillistinfo.html"
>>        <homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Homeroast] Yirga Cheffe Aricha
>> Message-ID:
>>        <CABtCe7KYuCrfoY=
>> 6NnJ_hRYMfmMGXhCrcBvgT51sc4iqY+kNvg at mail.gmail.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>> 
>> Hi John --
>> 
>> Since I am the only other contributor to this thread so far, I assume 
>> the question is for me.  My experience is with FreshRoast 500, not HotTop.
>> FreshRoast is a fluid bed / hot air roaster, so while your preheat 
>> question makes sense for a drum like HotTop, it doesn't for 
>> FreshRoast.  I start with room temperature beans.  I do several 
>> batches in a short time with the FreshRoast with nothing special 
>> between batches other than clean the chaff filters, but I do not do 
>> any special preheating of the equipment.  I'll wait for someone with 
>> specific HotTop experience to comment.
>> 
>> Best,
>> Howard
>> 
>> On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 8:38 AM, John Dodson <j_dodson at sbcglobal.net>
>> wrote:
>> 
>>> Thanks
>>> 
>>> I do 250 g
>>> 
>>> preheat to 167 F (HotTop preset)
>>> would you set the preheat to higher?
>>> 
>>> John D.
>>> 
>>> On Thursday, September 4, 2014 3:07 PM, Howard B 
>>> <howardbandy at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Hi John --
>>> 
>>> I posted a detailed description of the procedure I use for 
>>> everything I roast a couple of days ago.  I use a  FreshRoast 500, 
>>> so my experience is not specific to HotTop.  I have done about 800 
>>> roasts.  Many Guatemala
>> and
>>> many Ethiopia YCA.  Those two are my favorites.  I roast fairly 
>>> light -- Agtron 45 -- probably city+
>>> 
>>> I stop the roast in my FreshRoast when the temperature I am able to
>> measure
>>> (infrared gun pointed into the open roasting chamber) is about 
>>> 435-440 F.
>>> For almost all the Guatemala beans, that happens 7 to 8 minutes 
>>> after the first heat.  For Ethiopia YCA, it happens much sooner -- 
>>> around 6
>> minutes.
>>> I don't do anything special for one or the other -- just monitor 
>>> bean color, sound, and temperature closely as the roast is progressing.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Best regards,
>>> Howard
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 9:18 AM, John Dodson <j_dodson at sbcglobal.net>
>>> wrote:
>>> 
>>>> I'm new to home roasting and new to my HotTop roaster.  I have 
>>>> done a dozen practice roast on Guatemalan.  I am looking looking 
>>>> for advice
>> on a
>>>> starting profile for Ethiopia dry process Yirga Cheffe Aricha.
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> John D
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Homeroast mailing list
>>>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sw
>> eetmariascoffee.com
>>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
>>> Forum</a>
>>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee
>> Library</a>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Homeroast mailing list
>>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sw
>> eetmariascoffee.com
>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
>> Forum</a>
>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee 
>>> Library</a> _______________________________________________
>>> Homeroast mailing list
>>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sw
>> eetmariascoffee.com
>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's
>> Forum</a>
>>> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee 
>>> Library</a>
>> 
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> Subject: Digest Footer
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> Homeroast mailing list
>> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
>> 
>> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sw
>> eetmariascoffee.com
>> 
>> 
>> ------------------------------
>> 
>> End of Homeroast Digest, Vol 80, Issue 6
>> ****************************************
> _______________________________________________
> Homeroast mailing list
> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmar
> iascoffee.com
> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's Forum</a> <a
> href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Homeroast mailing list
> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmar
> iascoffee.com
> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's Forum</a> <a
> href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Homeroast mailing list
> Homeroast at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> http://lists.sweetmariascoffee.com/mailman/listinfo/homeroast_lists.sweetmariascoffee.com
> <a href="http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/">Sweet Maria's Forum</a>
> <a href="http://www.sweetmarias.com/library">Our new Coffee Library</a>



More information about the Homeroast mailing list