[Homeroast] Yirga Cheffe Aricha

John Dodson j_dodson at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 5 10:38:06 CDT 2014

Thanks

I do 250 g

preheat to 167 F (HotTop preset)
would you set the preheat to higher?

John D.

On Thursday, September 4, 2014 3:07 PM, Howard B <howardbandy at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi John --

I posted a detailed description of the procedure I use for everything I
roast a couple of days ago.  I use a
 FreshRoast 500, so my experience is
not specific to HotTop.  I have done about 800 roasts.  Many Guatemala and
many Ethiopia YCA.  Those two are my favorites.  I roast fairly light --
Agtron 45 -- probably city+

I stop the roast in my FreshRoast when the temperature I am able to measure
(infrared gun pointed into the open roasting chamber) is about 435-440 F.
For almost all the Guatemala beans, that happens 7 to 8 minutes after the
first heat.  For Ethiopia YCA, it happens much sooner -- around 6 minutes.
I don't do anything special for one or the other -- just monitor bean
color, sound, and temperature closely as the roast is progressing.

Best regards,
Howard