[Homeroast] Airpopper roast size

Brian Kamnetz bkamnetz at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 16:28:07 CDT 2014

I used to roast with a Poppery II. Some people modify poppers with a variac
to the heat coil and a control to vary fan speed, but mine was unmodified
other than removing the bimetal thermostat. If I started with more than a
given amount of beans (I think it was just over half a cup), the roast
would proceed too fast and first crack would merge into second crack. The
outside of the beans would be charred and oily and the inside would be
unroasted. So I was limited to the amount of coffee beans that would
progress to first crack, pause, then start second crack. I made a chimney
from a soup can to keep the beans from flying out of the popper as they got
lighter. This occurred at 6500 feet in New Mexico, where the air was thin
and dry. The popper behaved a lot differently near sea level in South
Carolina, where it would hardly finish a roast at all, and I switched to a
heat gun.

Brian