[Homeroast] No first crack

Clark Barclay pedestriancoffee at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 00:27:48 CDT 2014

now that you mention it, yes, they do expand so litttle. they also seems to
hardly change color as they roast. I roasted some in my air popper for 5
minutes and another batch for 7.5 minutes and they look identical! still
light brown, but the taste is good throughout. sweeter at lightly roasted
but nice and bold at the higher temps. I agree it's not what I want to
drink every morning. I think they'd go nice in a blend too- I'll give it a
try. They have that cozy "normal" coffee taste to me- sorta like just good
ol coffee.

On Wednesday, September 3, 2014, Martin Maney <maney at two14.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 02, 2014 at 06:17:26PM -0400, Clark Barclay wrote:
> > Interesting...I just got some of those Monsooned Malabar, India beans and
> > the crack was soooo quiet. I think it's cuz the have less moisture in
> them.
> > They are very lightweight, possibly relevant. Has anyone else roasted
> these
> > Monsooned ones? They're a little tricky. Maybe best for a blend or French
> > Roast.
>
> The Malabar does fill the role of the low-acid/background coffee in a
> classic Mokha-Java style blend.  An espresso-mad friend who's not on
> this list likes to add a little of it, "like a spice" he says, in his
> blends.  I rather enjoy it straight (as well as blended) in the CCD,
> but it's not what I'd want to drink every day.  Great change of pace if
> I've been overindulging in wild DP Ethiopians or etc. :-)
>
> Not sure about having a significantly lower moisture content, but what
> monsooned coffees unquestionably do have is a very high volume for
> their weight.  And this acts, IME, more like much of the normal
> expansion has been done before roasting: they expand much less in the
> roaster than regular coffees do for a given roast level.
>
> All of which reminds me that it's been a while since the last roast
> batch of this year's Malabar.  The problem is that bit about not really
> wanting to have only Malabar to drink (and a rather low rate of
> consumption this time of year).
>
> --
> I personally refuse to use inferior tools because of ideology.  In
> fact, I will go as far as saying that making excuses for bad tools
> due to ideology is _stupid_, and people who do that think with
> their gonads, not their brains.  -- Linus

*Pedestrian*
instagram.com/pedestriancoffee
soundcloud.com/pedestriancoffee