[Homeroast] No first crack

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Wed Sep 3 17:15:30 CDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 02, 2014 at 06:17:26PM -0400, Clark Barclay wrote:
> Interesting...I just got some of those Monsooned Malabar, India beans and
> the crack was soooo quiet. I think it's cuz the have less moisture in them.
> They are very lightweight, possibly relevant. Has anyone else roasted these
> Monsooned ones? They're a little tricky. Maybe best for a blend or French
> Roast.

The Malabar does fill the role of the low-acid/background coffee in a
classic Mokha-Java style blend.  An espresso-mad friend who's not on
this list likes to add a little of it, "like a spice" he says, in his
blends.  I rather enjoy it straight (as well as blended) in the CCD,
but it's not what I'd want to drink every day.  Great change of pace if
I've been overindulging in wild DP Ethiopians or etc. :-)

Not sure about having a significantly lower moisture content, but what
monsooned coffees unquestionably do have is a very high volume for
their weight.  And this acts, IME, more like much of the normal
expansion has been done before roasting: they expand much less in the
roaster than regular coffees do for a given roast level.

All of which reminds me that it's been a while since the last roast
batch of this year's Malabar.  The problem is that bit about not really
wanting to have only Malabar to drink (and a rather low rate of
consumption this time of year).

--
I personally refuse to use inferior tools because of ideology.  In
fact, I will go as far as saying that making excuses for bad tools