[Homeroast] Chai

Steve Jacobs steve.jacobs at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 07:42:53 CDT 2014

Flavored coffees? Gah! NFW! Different strokes, I guess.

I began roasting my own beans to get away from non-coffee flavors and the
(usually) cheap-a$$ coffee they use. My wife used to buy flavored k-cup
drek and was having major issues with acidity. I found a couple of low-acid
beans from Sweet Maria's and dark-roasted them. She cold brews the coffee
she drinks and has had *zero* issues with acid reflux ever since.

If you feel you must add flavors, I'd add coarsely crushed spices *AFTER*
the roast is complete. The roasting process is more than likely to destroy
the flavor of any spices added during the roasting process and will
probably contaminate your roaster with non-coffee smells.