[Homeroast] Roasting over a fire

Steve Jacobs steve.jacobs at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 14:00:54 CDT 2014

It would work, but your results will be inconsistent. I tried the
whirly-pop method over a gas flame and had  big issues with consistency and
temperature control. Since the Coleman popper lacks a means of stirring,
you're going to be REALLY busy shaking the thing so you don't burn half
while the other half remains undercooked and I don't believe you'll be able
to do more than a quarter pound at one go.

That said, it's worth a try :D

My coffee roasting methods began with the whirly-pop, first indoors with
the range hood blower on full blast. After getting chased outdoors by my
wife, I tried it with the gas burner on our grill with pretty much the same
result, sans getting grief from my wife.

My next step was a 64 oz. stainless steel dog bowl and a 900W heat gun.
That worked a lot better, but had issues with losing heat and the random
bean over the edge. The best I could manage is between a half and three
quarters of a pound at once and it took 45 minutes to get into second
crack. Bleh.

I insulated the bowl from below with rock wool and added a thermocouple so
I could keep an eye on the roasting temperatures. That improved roasting
times a bit, but was still painfully slow.

Finally, I bought a Behmor and have put one pound a week through it since
January 2013. I keep it clean by vacuuming and internal wipe downs with
baking soda and water or some simple green and dusting out the innards with
a bit of canned air. Since I save about $10-$15 per pound per week by not
buying roasted beans, the Behmor paid for itself in less than a year.