[Homeroast] Espresso

Frank Parth fparth at me.com
Wed Oct 15 23:23:02 CDT 2014

Terry,
The best thing I can tell you is to keep detailed logs on each roast. As you experiment with different roast levels, grind size, and brewing temp/time you’ll find different flavors in the coffee. When you find something you really like, try and repeat that roast.

During the roasting process note the ambient temperature, the quantity of the beans, the length of the roast, when first crack occurs and when second crack occurs (if you go that far), the temperature you dropped the roast at, and how long you cooled it. This will give you a fair amount of data to compare between roasts.

If you are technically inclined,  you can buy the Artisan software and a thermocouple to graph the ramp up of the roast on your computer.

Roasting coffee is a continuous quest to find the perfect roast for each bean.

Good luck with your experiments.

Frank Parth