[Homeroast] Behmor Roaster - Cleaning

Raybob Bowman raybob at tube-tone.com
Tue Oct 14 15:08:39 CDT 2014

I wouldn't say "Simple Green" is benign.  Read some studies on the subject, such as this one done 22 year ago: http://isse.utk.edu/ccp/pubs/pdfs/HouseholdCleaners-wofigsandapps.pdf
"For instance, one highly advertised "green" cleaner contains glycol ethers and petroleum based surfactants and is packaged in a PVC bottle. Most of the "green" cleaners use surfactants that have petrochemical components (e.g. alcohol ethoxy sulfates, cocamide DEA), although most have shifted away from LAS. Some of the surfactants used are mild to skin and are commonly used in shampoos (e.g., cocamide DEA).

Some "green" cleaners use EDTA builders commonly used in more "mainstream" cleaners, while others have shifted to sodium citrate and sodium carbonate. None of the "green" cleaners were utilizing antimicrobials, and most were not using solvents such as glycol ethers or isopropanol. Instead of these solvents, some "green" manufacturers were using citrus oils, such as d-limonene, or pine oil."

Glycol ether is basically anti-freeze.  I wouldn't want that near my kitchen.  As for bleach, the only one that is safe is H2O2.

Raybob