[Homeroast] Behmor Roaster - Cleaning

John Nordling john.nordling at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 09:25:10 CDT 2014

Bleach is also an awful cleaner.  It's a great sanitizer, but for cleaning
purposes, it stinks (literally and figuratively).

I don't know what is best for roaster cleaning, but based on the ingredient
list in Simple Green (original formula All-Purpose cleaner), it's pretty
benign.  I'm not sure where you got your toxicity information, but with the
exception of ethoxylated alcohol and the chelator, everything in it is
commonly found as primary ingredients in food (citric acid and baking soda
are the only other ingredients listed - one is a main component of citrus
fruit, the other is baking soda).

The chelator and ethoxylated alcohol would both wipe away with a damp cloth
as a last step.  The ethoxy-alcohol will evaporate off with the first
roast.  The chelator will probably thermally decompose and be driven off as
well, but I'm not completely sure of that.  If it doesn't, then it'll stay
stuck to the surfaces mostly anyways.  (also, typically chelators are at
<1% levels in most cleaning agents - their purpose is to help the other
components work better with hard water in most cases).

Vinegar would work okay.  Doing a series of vinegar (undiluted - vinegar is
95% water anyways) alternating with baking soda/water wipedowns would
probably get you where you want to be.  There's no surfactant in that
formula, so greasy stuff won't come off very well, but most of that is
probably charcoal by now anyways.  Dish soap and water as a third step to
remove the grease and charcoal residue maybe?

Whatever you choose, doing a simple wipedown with a wet cloth as your last
step, followed by an empty run to a high temperature should remove greater
than 99.9% of any cleaner residue. (I'd almost say 99.99%, but I've been
surprised before when I've found residue on surfaces at the 0.05% level
after wipedowns - it seems to be heavily dependent on the cleaner being
examined)

If I ever get a Behmor, I think i'll just use Simple Green or dish soap and
water.  Simple and effective.

-John

~~
"Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all."   Neutral Milk
Hotel, *In the Aeroplane Over the Sea*

Email:  john.nordling at gmail.com