[Homeroast] Scale

Dean Schaffran dean_schaffran at wildblue.net
Mon Oct 6 23:50:24 CDT 2014

i have an old Ohaus Dial-O-Gram triple beam balance that will go to 2610 g
by 0.1 g and has a pretty easy tare.
Since price is not a factor: similar new available (Google) for around $240.
for practical it's hard to beat gravity (no batteries) and it's tough to
get out of calibration to boot.

FYI a single roasted coffee bean weighs about 0.2g (I just weighed one bean
from a FullCity Kenya I roasted -24h.) so the 2g resolution on my
postal/roasting scale is probably accurate to plus or minus around 5 beans.
That's close enough for me.

I use the Ohaus for making tonic water syrup.(adding citric acid and single
parts per thousand of  sodium benzoate / potassium sorbate--trying to keep
yeasts & mold from ruining it in the refrigerator). first batch worked ok.