[Homeroast] grinder quandry

Ira ira at extrasensory.com
Sat Nov 22 00:07:43 CST 2014

Hello Archeobob,

Friday, November 21, 2014, 8:40 PM, you wrote:

> I roast with an RK drum and co-op/sell to my office
> mates on a regular basis, several are asking for
> per-ground (yeah, I cringe too). What’s the best
> grinder for me to buy that can do a pound or more at
> a time? The Capresso grinder I have does 10 cups worth, maybe 3oz only.

I have 2 Bunn grinders, I paid 50 for one and 100 for the other. If you pay that, they'll need burrs, the Dittings are about $340 shipped and you need to make a spacer on a lathe, I think the Bunn's are a bit less. The one I use has Ditting burrs and makes a really good brew grinder, about 3 seconds to grind the 40 grams I grind pretty fine, a fair amount faster if I grind for press pot. The second one is to repackage a bit more kitchen friendly and then put the Ditting burrs in. If that's what you want to do, troll Craigs list for Bunn or Grindmaster and if you want to be nice to your customers, replace the burrs, or not, it's still way better than a whirly blade.

-- Ira