[Homeroast] CoffeeCon 2014

Ira ira at extrasensory.com
Wed Nov 12 00:51:31 CST 2014

Hello Dennis,

Tuesday, November 11, 2014, 12:35 PM, you wrote:

> I also spoke to Ira, showing off his very hacked Behmor 1600.  Took a look at his new software,
> "RoasterThing”.  Also took his class "Introduction to Home Roasting".

It's not really new software, it's going on about 5 years now I've been working one it. But I don't do much advertising!
I starting documenting the mods at:  http://roasterthing.com/FrankenBehmor

> I was surprised at how full his class was.  There was a lot more interest in home roasting that I thought there would be.

At least 2 of the attendees were family and likely have no interest in home roasting, they just came for me, but seeing the room full was nice. I had counted 60 chairs during setup the day before.

> He gave several glowing recommendations for Sweet Maria's for beans and supplies.

I can't imagine buying beans anywhere else, I've tried a couple of times, but even if I end up saving a dollar or two a pound, it just never seems worth it. If they start with SM, at least they'll start learning with the best beans, if they want to find other sources after that, well, it's out of my hands.  Sm supplier the beans I was roasting there, but that's because the organizer asked them for me. I would have probably just asked a local roaster if I could have some of the "scraps" from the basket under his sample roaster, never would have dawned on my to ask SM.

Next year you should display too. In Chicago there were about 20 home roasters displaying, I only asked about 10 days before the show and expected to be told no. I was quite surprised to end up being the only one, even more surprised when 8 days before the show they asked me to speak. Not much time to prepare.

-- Ira