[Homeroast] Clever (was cool water)

Sandy Andina sandraandina at me.com
Fri Nov 7 16:50:59 CST 2014

I make espresso at home with my Andreja Premium (branded "La Cora"), but I spent years on the learning curve first with inexpensive Krups and Saeco pump machines and then a Rancilio Silvia and Pasquini Livia (which went blooey but the Silvia's still alive & well and my backup when La Cora's in the shop for her annual tune-up).  I have a Nespresso capsule machine for when I want 'spro quickly (30 sec. from "on" to brewed shot) without the 20-minute warmup wait or electric energy expenditure of the bigger machines; and on the road, I now carry a mini-Ibis kettle, Handpresso (Wild & kettle for the room, & Auto plus a water bottle for the car) and ESE pods--not as good as homeroast/ground, but better and cheaper than Starbucks. Nice to be able to enjoy a real shot at a freeway rest area or first thing in the morning in a motel room. Used to carry kettle, beans, a hand grinder, and a press (Aero or combo French travel mug) but the cleanup was messy and the grinding longer and tougher than pumping the Handpresso Wild up to pressure while the kettle boils.  I use little durable polycarbonate espresso cups--they look like those limited edition glass Illys from a few years back.

We have a Keurig for everyone else in the family who wants their coffee NOW. Me, I use the Clever since I'm into the ritual. For brewed coffee by the pot, I still have my Technivorm which I haul out for company. (Takes less time to brew a 4-mug pot than to brew 4 K-Cups).