[Homeroast] Clever (was cool water)

John Nordling john.nordling at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 13:20:32 CST 2014

I don't know, but I think it partly boils down to preference.  I like the
clever better than my single cup pour-over, probably because it's closer to
French Press than drip.

However, I think I like my Chemex best of all the brewing methods I've
used.   Don't know why.  It's a clean cup, that might be part of it.

French press is right in there for a quality brew too, though I'm not that
fond of chewing the last couple swallows from my cup, so I tend to only use
my press when I'm camping.

I've never had vacuum brewer coffee made by someone who really knows how to
do it.  I bought one, and tried that method for months, but never
(consistently) got something I really loved out of it (I had a constant
struggle with pulling the coffee back down through the filter fast enough -
I have improved my chaff removal process since then, and I should probably
revisit the method to see if it goes better now).  I do love the process of
that method, but it was too hard for me to get consistency (or rather
consistently good).

I used to have a Cuisinart drip machine (still do, but it's been in the
garage unused for a year or two).  I suspect it ran on the cold side, but
it made better coffee than most of the lower budget drip machines out
there.  I didn't know about Technivorm or Behmor at the time, but if I ever
buy another electric brewer, I'll probably spring for the Technivorm.

The joy of espresso brewing still eludes me.  I've had great espresso (and
it was amazing), but I haven't the time or resources to put into it for
myself.  Maybe someday I'll pull the pin and get something besides my
little stovetop Ikea espresso pot.

-John

~~
"Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all."   Neutral Milk
Hotel, *In the Aeroplane Over the Sea*

Email:  john.nordling at gmail.com