[Homeroast] cool water

Steve Jacobs steve.jacobs at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 19:15:33 CST 2014

i fill a 16 oz measuring cup to the top mark with filtered water and zap it
in the microwave until I get the desired temperature, then I dump freshly
ground coffee right into the cup and do a french press-style steep for 5
minutes. Once it's done with that step, I pour it through a #4 filter cone
to remove the grounds and right into my cup.

It tastes great, there's no grit in my cup and it's supremely simple and
easy to clean. I determined the ideal zap time by checking with a food
thermometer every 30 seconds or so. My total time from beginning to end is
10 minutes including cleanup.

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 8:02 PM, Rich <rich-mail at octoxol.com> wrote:

> Just about everyone of those machines has a thermostat with a nice knob on
> it. Beware you can set it to continuous boil.
>

> On 11/06/2014 06:10 PM, Michael Koenig wrote:
>
>> John,
>>
>> I lost my ability to have a grinder and water pot when my office went to
>> open space (they promised good coffee but we got flavia machines). Here's
>> what I do with either my clever or aero press.
>>
>> I bring water to boiling in the microwave, then figure out the time it
>> takes to cool down to the temperature you want (use your measuring device
>> of choice).  Then I just count the time from when I stop the microwave.
>> This time can depend heavily on your cup and its insulating properties.
>>
>> You could also crack open the top of the Bunn when nobody is looking and
>> look for a temperature adjustment in there. I think some have one.
>>
>> --mike
>>

>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>  On Nov 6, 2014, at 5:48 PM, John Nordling <john.nordling at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, if it wasn't for captain obvious . . . sometimes I wonder about
>>> myself.
>>>
>>> Best solution (that I should have thought of about a year ago):
>>> Measuring
>>> cup and microwave.  Off to the super-ultra-mega-mart for a pyrex
>>> measuring
>>> cup.
>>>
>>> answers to other questions:
>>>
>>> 1)  nope, can't have a kettle or my own coffee maker.  I live in a
>>> cubicle
>>> farm, and they don't allow heating elements because there's not enough
>>> electrical capacity to handle it for everyone.  Lots of power in my lab,
>>> but no food/drink allowed.
>>>
>>> 2)  make it at home - i actually leave home by 5:45, and prefer to make
>>> my
>>> first cup at work, because I can multitask it into my morning, so I do
>>> that
>>> when I have a late start morning, but normally, it would involve losing
>>> another 10 minutes of sleep. (My morning routine consists of roll out,
>>> shower, pack lunch and go.)
>>>
>>> 3) Aeropress - that's one gadget I haven't sprung for yet.  It's on the
>>> list, but for the sake of my marriage I am trying not to acquire every
>>> coffee making gadget on earth too quickly (not really, but we do have
>>> about
>>> 6 different ways, three grinders, and my ever growing green collection,