[Homeroast] cool water

John Nordling john.nordling at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 16:48:55 CST 2014

Well, if it wasn't for captain obvious . . . sometimes I wonder about
myself.

Best solution (that I should have thought of about a year ago):  Measuring
cup and microwave.  Off to the super-ultra-mega-mart for a pyrex measuring
cup.

answers to other questions:

1)  nope, can't have a kettle or my own coffee maker.  I live in a cubicle
farm, and they don't allow heating elements because there's not enough
electrical capacity to handle it for everyone.  Lots of power in my lab,
but no food/drink allowed.

2)  make it at home - i actually leave home by 5:45, and prefer to make my
first cup at work, because I can multitask it into my morning, so I do that
when I have a late start morning, but normally, it would involve losing
another 10 minutes of sleep. (My morning routine consists of roll out,
shower, pack lunch and go.)

3) Aeropress - that's one gadget I haven't sprung for yet.  It's on the
list, but for the sake of my marriage I am trying not to acquire every
coffee making gadget on earth too quickly (not really, but we do have about
6 different ways, three grinders, and my ever growing green collection, the
sum total of which my wife is starting to think might be approaching
excessive - I disagree, but marriage is about compromise, or so I'm told :)
 ).

4) The coffee maker at work is (I'm led to believe) part of a contract
coffee supply/lease service. It's actually brand new to our area (I think
it's a refurb that needs a new element), and it'd be a tough sell to get
them to replace it again.  As bad as this one is, the old one was worse
(hotter water, but a host of other issues).  It takes 10+ minutes for it to
warm water up to whatever its "ready" temperature is after making a carafe.

Thanks for your suggestions.  Again - duh.  Sometimes I wonder how I have
survived this long without accidentally starving to death or forgetting to
put on pants or something.

-John

~~
"Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all."   Neutral Milk
Hotel, *In the Aeroplane Over the Sea*

Email:  john.nordling at gmail.com