[Homeroast] Greens Storage Long Term RE: Homeroast Digest, Vol 81, Issue 27

miKe mcKoffee mckona at comcast.net
Thu Nov 6 00:22:32 CST 2014

Everyone's palettes are different yet amongst those with proven discerning
palettes no way would greens be worth much after five years stored room
temperature. Quite some time ago I did a 4 crop cycle storage test of Costa
Rica La Minita. Greens from 2001, '02 & '03 vacuum sealed and stored at room
temperature from the time I received them from SM until I received 2004
crop. I then profile roasted them all identically and cupped them. I alone
did not cup them but sent them to a couple others including Tom. There's a
commonly held basic rule of 15's in coffee and this test bore out the first
rule. To be at it's best coffee greens should be roasted within 15 months of
harvest, roasted coffee should be brewed within 15 days of roasting, coffee
should be brewed within 15 minutes after it's ground. Here is his cut &
paste post of his results from July 21, 2004.

Begin cut & paste:

 Okay - not sure how we are doing this Mike but I am done (need to start
packing for Chicago now!) . I whipped up a web page with comments. Should I
wait to upload it ? Well ... hmm, actually I can't really wait to do it.
Okay - I will put the link at the bottom of this email and DONT visit it if
the results need to be coordinated with the other scores before releasing
the findings.

Comments: I was impressed with the roasting Mike - excellent!
Overall, the coffees did not taste as old as they should have.
Disappointment: '04, while easy for me to pick out, did not distinguish
itself like I feel it should have.

The URL describes all my impressions and shows the scores:
http://www.sweetmarias.com/CostaRicaLaMinitaCupping.html

Sidebar: My thoughts during this cupping are about my CRLM dilemma- As you
know, I have an odd relationship with CRLM - a clean coffee that might be
too clean - the longer I go along in the coffee trade, the mess I drink it
because it's just not that exciting. I had downgraded '04 based on
recuppings a little while back. But I sort of doubt myself on this too. A
lot of people want an extremely clean and mild coffee, and this is it. When
a coffee costs more, it's always a struggle to explain that doesn't mean it
has 2x or 3x or Jamaica 4x the cup quality. There is not one thing called
cup quality - what I rate is the cup quality for that type of coffee, be it
husky, rustic and natural, or sweet & clean, or bright and citric etc etc.
So with La Minita the score reflects how it rates for sweet and clean cups.
And in a way the descriptors talk more about how it is a truly model farm,
and everything about the way they do things is how coffee should be treated.
But, but, but ... I don't get excited about this cup, and I can't get that
out of my head. I promised myself that I would always be true to my senses
on a coffee - evrything is cupped blind, ignore labels and ask yourself what
is "great coffee"? I wonder about this and, while JBM has improved
dramatically in the last 2 years, I have the same dilemma there... oh well,
typical T.O.
angst. If I don't have enough worries I always make up a few...
Tom

End cut & paste

I and others have also proven you can cheat the rule of 15's which applies
to normal ambient storage conditions. Many years ago Michael Sivetz
scientifically proved hermetically sealing and deep freezing roasted coffee
at -40f 100% halted aging. I've tested over a year vacuum sealing (which
satisfies hermetically sealed requirement) and freezing ~0f home freezer
roasted coffee remains very nearly the same as freshly roasted, one "proof
of the pudding" pulling 90% crema shots over a year later. Crema doesn't
exist with stale coffee! I've also vacuum sealed and frozen select very
expensive greens a number of years and then roasted with extremely good
results, no hints of bagginess or loss of acidity which is always the first
to go.

YMMV. Believe what you will, old coffee unless stored under strict specific
conditions will taste like old coffee.

Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/