Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Sun Nov 2 08:38:48 CST 2014

On Sat, Nov 01, 2014 at 08:12:19PM +0300, Frank Parth wrote:
> One thing I learned from this list a couple of years ago is that
> green beans will go back over a period of a year or two, just as any
> other agricultural product.

Greens lifetime varies a lot.  I've had some origins that faded very
noticeably in three months or less (Shoye Union comes to mind) when
stored in cloth bags in what is, to me, a comfortable indoor
environment.  It varies with the lot, the envionment, and how picky you
are.  :-/  I've been using a tightly-fitted cooler for the greens for a
couple years now, and the more stable micro-environment it provides is
a lot friendlier to the greens.  Since I'm a hoarder when it comes to
greens, I have some lot ends that have been in there for a year and...
well, I can't directly compare them, of course, but I think it's rather
like SM's decafs.  Not exactly the same, but if you don't compare it
you [usually] won't know.  At least I won't!

> MiKe recommended vacuum packing green beans and putting them in the
> freezer.  When I do that I can’t tell the difference between fresh
> bought beans and those that are a year or two old.  Worth trying.

Thumbs up on that vac-frozen storage... I got a little crazy back in
the spring of 2011 and still have some of the lots from that initial
excitement in the freezer.  Part of the problem is that I tend to
wind up with far too many greens on hand, and once they were in the
freezer...  out of sight, out of mind, and oh, look at that lovely new
offering that I just can't live without!  :-/

Also, after comparing results with a variety of lots, I definitely
prefer to thaw the frozen beans and let them rest at least overnight
before breaking the vaccuum and roasting, which interacts badly with my
perrenial tuit shortage (read: all too often I roast when I'm already a
day or two too near out of homeroast, no time to add a day for
un-freezing).

--
Writing blog entries is like tapping out a tune on a piano,
or drawing a little sketch on newsprint.  Writing a book is