[Homeroast] Quote American's Best Coffee Unquote

Seth Grandeau grandeau at gmail.com
Tue May 27 12:49:56 CDT 2014

Frank,

A few years back, the whole Gesha coffee thing exploded.  There was
(probably still is) an annual auction.  They were breaking down the coffee
based on the specific farm lot ("..east of the river at xxx elevation").
 Prices went through the roof.  That year, I think Sweet Marias offered 3
or 4 different Gesha lots, starting as low as $12 a lb and topping out at
well over $100 a lb.  I don't think it sold very well.  I remember seeing
the expensive lot go on sale at 1/2 off.  I tried the less expensive lots
and I liked it, but not as much as I enjoy a good Ethiopian or Kenyan.  The
flavors are too subtle for me.  Or my roasting skill is not good enough.
 That was the reason I never purchased the more expensive lots.  I was
afraid I'd spend all this money, not like it, and assume it had to have
been my fault.

Keep an eye out.  While I don't think we've seen the craziness as we did
that year, there usually is a Gesha lot, each year and if you've never
tried it, you should give it a shot.  It's expensive, but only compared to
other green coffee prices ($15 to $20).