[Homeroast] noob roaster here

Andy Thomas adt0611 at yahoo.com
Thu May 22 23:16:21 CDT 2014

Clark, welcome to the slippery slope! Sweet Marias is the best resource that I know of, by far, not just for information but for beans and other stuff as well. Home Coffee Roasting by Ken Davids is also a good place to start. As for a roasting machine, it depends most on the amount of coffee you plan to roast. My suggestion is to start simple with an air popper or heat gun/bowl rig, before you spend big money on a dedicated roaster. Then you can get something with greater capacity or greater control options when you have an idea of your requirements. I started about 15 years ago roasting with an unmodified popper that I happened to have in the cupboard. I still roast with a popper, but it's a bit tricked out now. (Ironically, the least costly piece of roasting equipment I have is the actual roaster. Even the thermocouple cost twice as much as the yard-sale popper I've been using for 12 years.)