[Homeroast] building a propane drum roaster

Derek Randolph drkrndlph at yahoo.com
Mon May 12 22:39:35 CDT 2014

I did exactly what you are planning on doing. I converted my old BBQ grill to a coffee roaster. I followed the plans on rkdrum.com. This is the address : http://rkdrums.com/index.php/en/how-to/assembly-guide/item/j-sheet-metal-efficiency-mods?category_id=15. However I couldn't see paying that much for a drum so I made my own. I took a #10 can, This is the extra large size like you find in warehouse stores like Costco or Smart and Final. So I bought the super size can of peaches and carefully opened the top only half way. Then after enjoying the peaches I used a pair of tin snips to cut it off, leaving half the lid still attached. Then I used the cheapest pair of hinges I could find at Lowes to attach the two pieces. Next step, I drilled holes in the can using a 1/8" drill bit all over the can about a 1/2" apart. This step takes awhile so I drilled until my really cheap battery died and moved onto the next step. Then I returned to drilling the next night
 until it was finished. If you follow the plans at rkdrums to convert the grill you'll end up with a little extra sheet metal. I used this to make the stirring vanes for inside the drum and I attached them with nuts and bolts through some of the holes I had already drilled. once all the holes are drilled, The stirring vanes and hinges attached I used a hammer to force the rotisserie rod through both ends of the can. I used the prongs that came with the rotisserie that are meant to hold the chicken or whatever in place to hold the can steady on the rod as well as to hold the lid closed during roasting. I used this setup for almost a year and a half and it worked great. This may sound like a lot of work but really its not to bad. The drilling takes the most time everything else literally just bolts together and in a couple of hours you're ready to roast. Enjoy, I know I did!