[Homeroast] Light roasted espresso

Danny Goot dannygoot at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 12:17:18 CDT 2014

Mike,

There are typically two ways that coffee will come out tasting grassy in
the roast defect kind of way.

1. Dropping your roast before it has time to develop. Some coffees develop
faster than others so it takes a bit of experimenting and research. (What
coffees are in the SM espresso blend? I bet you can figure out which seeds
are causing the grassy at a low drop temp. And, how is SM recommending how
to profile the blend?)

2. Roasting too hot. The outside may look right but the inside is yet to
develop. Uneven through out the seed will have this roast defect for sure.

I call this a "defect" because it is considered a defect of roasting. Now,
that doesn't mean that it can't or shouldn't be enjoyed this way. There are
plenty of pallets out there that would prefer a little grassy in their cup.
Just sayin'!

Stoked you got to go to Tim Wendelboe's space. One of these days I hope to
find myself in Oslo!

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 7:53 AM, gin powell <pchforever at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Greg:
>
> I just posted this to an earlier post about light v. dark.

> crema lover I believe that any roast you like is what you should use/brew
> for your espresso.
>
> it, for me, clearly depends on the bean. what brings out the best or your
> wanted flavor from that bean? it could be a lighter roast. I use every bean
> I roast as an espresso/cafe crema and I drink great espresso.
>
> whatever "the roast of the moment" is for coffee hustlers/charbucks etc I
> simply consider ho hum, who cares.
>
> I drink the best of what coffee is grown worldwide and roast to my taste. I
> never roast way into 2nd crack any longer, not necessary to bring up the
> best of a bean, in my opinion.<<<
>
> let us know,
>
> ginny
>

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 1:17 AM, Leo Nankervis
> <Leo.Nankervis at skretting.com>wrote:
>
> > Hi. First post here, so please let me know if I am not doing it
> correctly.
> >
> > I live in Norway and got into Tim Wendelboe's espresso in a big way
> before
> > moving to roasting my own. I know from his book and other releases that
> he
> > is really into brightness and avoids bitterness at all cost, which
> relates
> > well to the light roasts. Some of his Kenyan espresso roasts I found a
> bit
> > too bright for espresso, but I always loved them in a cortado. I have
> tried
> > to roast Kenyan beans to a similar level, but have not been so happy with
> > the results. I found them a bit plain and one-dimensional in comparison.
> >
> > Here is a link to a Nordic Roasters workshop, including a presentation
> > from Tim Wendelboe.
> >
> > http://nordicbaristacup.com/2012/10/nordic-roasting-philosophies/

> Forum</a>

Danny Goot