[Homeroast] Light vs. dark espresso roasts.

Bob Hazen peatmonster at comcast.net
Wed Mar 12 21:36:07 CDT 2014

John,

In my opinion you are entirely correct.  I recall a day when the "Major
Seattle Roaster" was just getting started.  Their coffees were nicely done
and the varietal character came out in each of the coffees.  They have since
grown to behemoth class and are roasting so dark that the various beans all
taste nearly the same to me.  I believe because of their size they cannot
purchase small amounts of top tier beans and still meet demand.  I suspect
they roast dark to mask undesirable flavors and to achieve "consistency"
albeit mediocre quality for their customers.  I haven't had a cup of their
coffee for a long, long time.

I have tended to roast just to or into 2nd crack, but recently I'm going
lighter and aiming to just finish 1st.  It's been pleasant.  I do find that
a hotter quicker roast suites my taste when roasting lighter.  If I go too
slowly, the nuances seem to disappear.

Bob