[Homeroast] Light vs. dark espresso roasts.

John M. Howison johnmhowison at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 19:34:56 CDT 2014

To an elderly home roaster who makes coffee in 190-degree water rather
than an espresso device,  the recent posts in favor of lighter
espresso roasts has been interesting.  Having been a coffee enthusiast
long before espresso machines were at hand, I firmly believe that dark
roasts have been tolerated unduly because over-roasting suppresses
faults, and despite the necessary  diadvantage of suppressing virtues
at the same time.  Way back when travelers to Europe were extolling
Viennese coffee rather than Roman -- when Viennese roasters paid
higher prices than anyone else for premium beans -- ideal roasts
tended to hover in the "no oiliness" neighborhood.  Are we now
rediscovering what some folks knew a long time ago?

--
Contra muros, mater rubicolla