[Homeroast] post roast gases

Andy Thomas adt0611 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 12 16:48:29 CDT 2014

Just a guess, but I think it may be from oils in the beans that atomize during the grinding process. It would only be a very tiny bit, but over time it might build up enough to create a patina on the lid. I can't see or feel anything on the lid of my grinder, but I have only had it for less than a year. You could try putting it through the dishwasher; it might get clean; it might not get clean; it might melt.

As for your woodworking experiment, I think it is worth a try, Coffee oils do become rancid, but so do other non-mineral oils that are used for wood -- linseed, teak, etc. Why not do a trial with a piece of scrap. You could try with whole beans and different grinds from fine to coarse.