[Homeroast] post roast gases

kevin creason ckevinj at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 16:57:07 CDT 2014

About six years ago I picked up some nice professional equipment: a nice
Rancillio S24 espresso machine and Maestre espresso grinder. I love them.
The grinder did not come with a lid for the hopper, but a tupperware lid
fit so I used that. Much to my wife's chagrin, I should add.

Fast forward to the point at hand... This lid is now totally ruined for
going back to its previous duties. It is so discolored by coffee that I
would face equal wrath at returning it now.
Oops.
The lid just sits up on top of the hopper -- it does not come in direct
contact with the beans or grounds. I suppose there could be some minute
fly-off of grounds when the beans are emptied out to the bottom. But I find
that scenario a little hard to believe. I think instead that it must be
gases from freshly roast coffee that rise and permeate the plastic.
Is this possible? Has anyone else observed this?

My next question is using this potential phenomenon to my advantage, or at
least confirming it through additional observation. When I'm not roasting
and consuming coffee, or working my typing fingers to the bone on some
remote command line somewhere, I like to turn wood into round objects on my
lathe. I've been pondering buying cheap beans that I would not deign to
consume, but instead stuff a wood bowl or pen into a baggy of said freshly
roasted crappy beans and see what the wood absorbs from the beans. It might
be pretty, it might be ugly.
The first concern is that the wood would turn rancid after a while. But
sealing it in acrylic might solve that issue.
What do you think?

-Kevin
/*" I am looking for a lot of men who have an infinite capacity to not know
what can't be done. " -- Henry Ford  */