[Homeroast] Light roasted espresso

Starfinder Stanley coffee at starf.org
Fri Mar 7 16:05:18 CST 2014

I always have roasted my espresso light; I'm not generally fond of dark
(over)roasted coffee.  Not to mention that the oils driven to the surface
go rancid very quickly. That said, in my experience every batch of beans is
different, and what is a perfect roast for one turns out to be mediocre for
another.  I find this to be true even for different harvests of the same
varietal from the same plantation ---my staple bean for years has been PNG
Sigri, and the last bag I bought was pretty unremarkable at my usual
lighter roast level, but revealed all sorts of wonderful chocolate and nut
flavors when I accidentally "overroasted" 25 or 30 seconds into second
crack.  With the hottop, I've had good results using the default ramp to
first crack and then slowing the temp rise to stretch out the time to
second crack.  Be careful not to let the temp stall (plateau or drop), as
that can result in a baked/grassy flavor.  I usually take them to the
second crack at the least, and watch/listen until it gets where I want it.
Do a bunch of batches of the same bean to slightly different degrees of
roast in a row and compare; sometimes a bean will surprise you.