[Homeroast] Reflections on Roasting Fundamentals

miKe mcKoffee mckona at comcast.net
Sat Jun 28 16:10:19 CDT 2014

And discuss you are...

-----Original Message-----
From: Homeroast [mailto:homeroast-bounces at lists.sweetmariascoffee.com] On
Behalf Of Ed Bourgeois
Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2014 2:04 PM

There's understanding the dynamics and control of the roaster and then
there's understanding the beans. The beans have much to do with chemistry
that happens with a temp. and then duration/time factor. We know that coffee
is extremely complex in what it contains. If there are 1000 +/- things in
coffee we can't consider all of them when roasting. But I'm trying to narrow
down to the few that make the biggest difference in the resulting outcome.
George Howell's clean and sweet concept makes sense to me. Once I can
accomplish clean and sweet then I can consider nuances in a specific lot to
adjust to preferred tastes. Sweetness is pretty much directly related with
what is done with the sugars and presently feel that maybe chlorogenic acids
transforming to chlorogenic lactones may be the biggest contributor in a
clean roast, other than heat abuse ie scorching.
There's development of sugars in the early ramp but the key time is once
they hit the melting/reaction point at about 365f. So my sweetness clock
starts then with considerations of clean sweet and caramel goodness as the
optional preference factor. Chlorogenic acids reaction temp. seems to be
around 405-408f. So to me a bad stall is not a lack of rate of rise but more
allowing the bean temp to fall below the needed reaction temp. or stalling
the reaction. The grassy/vinegar nasty acidity vs the transformed more
pleasant acidity. This all being much more critical with lighter roasts.
Much of what I just said is work in progress and may be a bunch of bs at
this point in time.