[Homeroast] Reflections on Roasting Fundamentals

miKe mcKoffee mckona at comcast.net
Sat Jun 28 11:52:30 CDT 2014

My Aricha profile in brief:
Charge through drying stage ~5min ~300f (bean mass)
Tanning to start of first ~7min ~400f
Start of 1st to EOR ~2:30min 425f drop

HOW you would achieve going from ~15f/min ramp approaching 1st to ~10f/min
ramp hitting 1st to EOR with RK setup can't say exactly since I'm not using
that roasting tool. How you "slam on the brakes" ramp wise is the big
question. I use a combination of dropping flame AND big increase in air flow
(flushing hotter air out) coming up on 1st. As 1st starts in earnest flame
remains down and reduce air flow (reducing convection rate). Air flow is a
tricky thing yet huge in controlling roast and roast results especially
light roasts. On the one hand increased air flow can/will increase
convection once stabilized to higher air flow, on the other it can blow
current hot air out... I've roasted around 10,000 batches on my USRC 3k in
6-1/2 years and think barely really starting to get a good handle on it! I
have other coffees drop lower than Aricha, current lowest 416f, and still
able to get a good finish stretch with end ramps approaching only 6f/min
without stalling. All about learning to control your roaster, Art AND
Science.

It's easy to turn beans brown, it's a lifetime Journey learning to make
beans sing.

Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/