[Homeroast] Reflections on Roasting Fundamentals

Brian Kamnetz bkamnetz at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 11:28:42 CDT 2014

I don't know how much my experience applies to your process, but I thought
I would throw it out there for consideration. When I first started roasting
I was using a Poppery 2. Every batch, the beans would start roasting just
fine, it seemed, but when it hit first crack the roast would race right
into second crack. Every batch was oily and burned on the outside and
under-roasted the inside, and, as you mentioned, the coffee produced was
thin and grassy, with a hint of char. Finally someone on this list
suggested cutting the amount I was roasting from 3/4 cup to 1/3 cup, and
the very first batch with this amount sailed smoothly up to first crack,
then I had a defined first crack, then a minute or two pause before hitting
second crack.

Again, my popper has very little in common with the Ron Kyle drum, but one
problem may be the 3.5 batch. I would think that it would be hard to
control the temp of this big bean mass. If it is possible with your method,
I would cut the amount of greens to the smallest possible batch size, and
work with this batch size until you can make the lighter roast happen to
your satisfaction, then start applying what you have learned to larger
batches. Just a thought....

Brian