[Homeroast] Aricha roasting

miKe mcKoffee mckona at comcast.net
Wed Jun 25 16:53:48 CDT 2014

Brian may well be onto the cause of the problem. Just because the lid isn't
screwed down tight doesn't mean a natural vacuum from the beans cooling
didn't seal the lid tight.

At the PNW Homeroast Gathering Alchemist John hosted he roasted one of the
world's most exciting dynamic coffees, Island of St. Helena, and immediately
after roast sealed it in a glass jar. He however went to an extreme and
sealed it before cooling the beans at all! At the gathering we cupped a
bunch of samples Tom had brought. There where 2 "ringers", the ISH and a
high grade Robusta Tom had roasted. To a person everyone picked the same
coffee as the worst on the table, and everyone thought it was the Robusta.
Nope, twas Alchemist's destroyed ISH.

However, IF you used the exact same cooling and storage procedure you've
used for a long time probably not the problem...

Possibly your brew water temp was too low resulting in sour. So many
possibles, so many variables. I honestly haven't had a "sour" roast in many
many years  if ever and hence can't diag' the roast cause, if it's caused by
the roast, since haven't experienced the symptom.

Slave to the Bean miKe mcKoffee
www.CompassCoffeeRoasting.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/