[Homeroast] BBQ roasting in a paint can

msmb msmb at suddenlink.net
Mon Jul 7 19:21:16 CDT 2014

The can did have an epoxy finish on the interior and I did get it good an
hot several times followed by scaping with a steel pad.  Besides that I
have now ruied three small roasts with my experiment, so i figure it is all
burnt off.  When I was first preparing the can I just let it sit on the
open gas flame of the serer several times, and now have about 3 roasts that
could not be consumed.

I am beginning to think that the problem of my first uneven roast had to do
with part of the can sitting over the serer, or was close enough so that
part of the can got hotter than the other.  I did add some ribs but they
are not really big enough to make the beans tumble over them.

Now the problem seems to be a roasting profile for BBQ roasting.  In my
most recent practice roasts the beans are coming out underdone.  As soon as
i can see that this is going to work i will invest in a proper thermometer.
 But until then do you --or anyone-- know of a good profile for BBQ
roasting?  It obviously must go longer than mine? I was just about to look
online for one but if you have any suggestions i would appreciate them.