[Homeroast] Broken part on Gene Cafe

Mike Drayton mdrayton at sonic.net
Thu Jan 23 16:13:15 CST 2014

I've had a Gene Café roaster for around 3 years, and I like it pretty well. I appreciate the quiet operation and reasonable repeatability of results. I use it indoors, at temps from 66 in winter to 80 in summer. Previously, I used an iHearth roaster, and prior to that, oven roasting on a cookie sheet and a hot air popcorn popper. I guess I've been roasting for 6 or 7 years.

My only real complaint with the Gene Café is that it's not agile in changing temperature. Usually, by the time the machine thinks it's up to the temp I set, usually around 473, the roast is done. If I wanted to plateau at lower temps for a while, the roast duration would stretch out to 25-30 minutes.

I'm a new member, but I looked back at the archives a little, and noticed someone's idea of preheating the machine, and I've tried that -- but I'm not sure if the results are significantly different.

The roast results I get are entirely satisfactory to me, but I am not a supertaster, and may not know what I'm missing. The half-pound I roast lasts me around 3-4 days, so the batch size of my current machine is about right.

Thanks for all your comments so far,

Mike in Santa Rosa, CA