[Homeroast] Very odd Yirga Cheffe

Frank Parth fparth at me.com
Thu Jan 23 17:30:50 CST 2014

I’m a big fan of Yirga Cheffes. Back in May I ordered a 5# bag of the Dry-Process Yirga Cheffe Konga hoping to get some of that bittersweet cocoa flavor I like.

This is the most challenging bean I’ve roasted. The beans come from a variety of farms. Large variation in the size of the beans and a lot of peaberries. I have to ramp up the roast and stretch it out as long as possible to get most of the beans roasted. I can’t multi-task as well when roasting this bean; gotta pay attention to it.

Usually I’ll find a few quakers (beans picked too green so they don’t roast properly) in most orders. But with this order I'll pick out 2-3 dozen quakers, a lot more than with other roasts.

Frank Parth